Meet our October Newbies!
This month we welcomed Newbies in many different departments and offices all over the world. We spent our Welcome Days hearing the Founding Story, walking around Mitte on a GYG tour, and introducing ourselves to our new teammates in creative ways! And now we introduce our Newbies to you!
Sebastian Lietzow Chinn, Customer Service Agent
- I couldn't be without.. Coffee?
- What do you like about living in Berlin? I like the different culture and nightlife in Berlin.
- My first job was: washing dishes in a small dark corner of a Latin-American restaurant when I was 13.
Alexandru Ionita, Software Engineer Back-End, Zurich
- Best gift that you have ever received. I was gifted 2 ugly and large concrete garden gnomes weighing 80 kg each as a birthday and new home present. They were a good joke at that moment but now I am a bit concerned that I will need to keep them in my garden for many years to come.
- 3 things that you would do if you win the lottery: 1. I would take a year off to travel around the world. 2. I would buy a normal sized flat in a normal neighborhood to save money on rent. 3. I would invest in tech start-ups and microbreweries.
- If you could be any fictional character, whom would you choose? First character that comes to my mind would be Light Yagami from Death Note (a Japanese manga that was adapted into an anime). Light is a very smart high school student who finds a notebook that kills anyone whose name is written in it. The notebook transforms him into a `god` who plans to clean the world of criminals while becoming a criminal himself.
Suzy Nader, Customer Service Agent
- What was your first thought when you woke up this morning? "Dear Universe, please let me find my new home in Berlin ASAP and hopefully I won't be scammed".
- If you could be any fictional character, whom would you choose? Eric Cartman from Southpark OR 11 from Stranger Things.
- Best gift that you have ever received: Turning 30 and caring less about what people think of me/feeling better in my skin/thankful that my 20's are over.
Sandro Meier, Software Engineer, Zurich
- Best gift that you have ever received? My Amazon Kindle. Since I got it my bag got much lighter without all the physical books.
- Worst movie you have seen? Pulp Fiction. You either love or hate it. I certainly don't love it...
- 3 things that you would do if you win the lottery? I would definitely ride a Tesla to work instead of the train. But other than that I would first have to look for new (expensive) hobbies.
Richard Wylie, Localization Project Coordinator
- First thought this morning: What a beautiful day in Berlin!
- Worst Movie: Zoolander 2, it's so bad I am starting to have my doubts about how funny the first one really was…
- Any Fictional Character: Larry David
Leo Chiocci, Customer Service Agent
- Favorite Berlin Spot: Tempelhofer Feld
- One song that you would listen to everyday: rjd2 ghostwriter
- I am very scared of: Driving a motorcycle in India
Eva Stolz, Account Manager
- What was your favorite trip and why? My first trip alone to South East Asia because it was exciting and exotic and beautiful and it opened my mind for so many other things in life. Also the food was quite delicious!
- Describe yourself in 3 words: curious (as in inquisitive), sociable, candid
- Which technical innovation is the most important for you? Digital cameras, because they help you to capture and relive your memories and share them with others.
Gabriel van Oppen Ardanaz, Customer Service Agent
- Worst food you ever had: Anything I cook myself
- If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? to understand women
- One song that you would listen to everyday: What´s my age again? by Blink 182
Adeline Hadey, Customer Service Agent
- Worst food you ever had: I once had some stork in Vietnam, because no waiter could speak English (only Vietnamese) and my friend and I thought that was chicken... Until we actually noticed the head of the bird in our plate and the other birds waiting to be killed!
- Favourite Berlin Spot: Mauerpark (on Sundays)
- One song that you would listen to everyday: Wonderwall, Oasis
David Büchli, Customer Service Team Lead
- My best job ever: When still in high school, I stereo-typically (I am from the Netherlands) briefly worked in a cheese factory. I worked the night shift, sitting in a sort of watchtower in the middle of the cheese factory all by myself (all personnel had gone home for the night). There were cheeses running over conveyor belts all around me, and when a cheese would fall off, it got stuck in those machines and automatically obstructed the whole production process. Whenever that happened, a red light would go off in the tower where I was. My job was then to call a guy, who was stand-by for that night and at home sleeping. He would then come to the factory and fix things. This was my whole job, just to call that guy when things went wrong. In the 2 months I worked there, it never happened.
- What was your favorite trip and why? That's hard to choose, as the last trip is always my favorite. Having to pick one, I'd say a 1-month trip with my girlfriend to Cuba.
- Describe yourself in 3 words: happy, curious, easy-going
Daniela Duran de la Torre, Working Student Finance
- Worst movie you have seen: Legally Blonde
- 3 things that you would do if you win the lottery: Build a dogs refugee, build a care home for old people, people with diseases, etc.. and I would make vacations at the beach
- Best gift that you have ever received: my dogs
Sean Joseph, Customer Service Agent
- Worst movie you have seen: The worst film that I've ever seen would have to be Saw 4 (in 3D I think it was), I had to walk out after half an hour as I couldn't bear the gore.
- If you could be any fictional character, whom would you choose?: It might sound silly but Harry Potter - escaping reality at times seems very appealing.
- Best gift that you have ever received: The best present I've ever received was a piano, it helped me finish my degree and playing music helps keep me sane...still.
Katie Vinson, Account Manager, Florida
- My best job ever: Besides GetYourGuide of course :) My first job was a Lifeguard at a lake. Every gator sighting and thunder storm (and there were a lot of both) nobody was allowed in the water so I spent my time completing the Harry Potter series.
- Which technical innovation is the most important for you? GPS. I have a horrible sense of direction and google maps has saved me a lot of gas money and time!
- What was your favorite trip and why? San Diego California. Amazing Sushi and Mexican (my two favorite foods) plus perfect weather for lounging on the beach.
Kaely Scott, Customer Service Agent
- What was your favorite trip and why? Tough one to call, but most likely when I was first out of University and went to Ireland to work. It was the start of my "travel career" so I guess kinda life changing.
- My best job ever: I think it was probably when I had the opportunity to train at risk youth in the hospitality industry. It combined my two loves of social work and hospitality.
- Which technical innovation is the most important for you? Growing up in Canada, I would have to say central heating.
Daniel McGowan, English Content Editor
- What is your motto? When you see a good move, look for a better one. (Not actually mine, but I like it).
- Who would you like to be stuck in the elevator with? Andy Murray. I think to combat the nervousness and claustrophobia of being stuck it would be good to be with somebody really positive and upbeat.... Okay, but he would have some great stories to tell and if I'm ever in a lift with Andy Murray I'm probably doing something right.
- My worst job ever: I had a pretty grim time answering the phone for a well-known pizza establishment once. Saturday night stoners with the munchies were always good for a laugh though.
Yann-Ber Le Bonniec, Customer Service Agent
Which item could you not be without? Notebook because I am becoming too old to remember everything
Who wouldn’t you want to be stuck in the elevator with? Justin Bieber
- I am an expert in: chatting, seems I sometimes can't stop
Fanny Dessert, Customer Service Agent
- Who would you like to be stuck in the elevator with? I wouldn't mind to be stuck with any friend that is just coming back from a long journey so we would have enough time to catch up!
- Which instrument are you able to play? I have a great experience of playing tambourine at karaoke.
- My worst job ever: Once I distributed flyers in front of a middle school in the early morning. It was an horrible advertisement for junk food, even a dog wouldn't eat this.
Thomas Neid, Finance Intern
- Who would you like to be stuck in the elevator with? The entire cast of Seinfeld.
- Which instrument are you able to play? Does Smoke on the Water on the guitar count?
- My worst job ever: Inventory at Zara (horrible RnB music all day, every day
Etienne Boucher, Customer Service Agent
- I am very scared of .. Clown
- Worst food you ever had? Brussels sprouts
- If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? Umm ... fly?
Xiangxue (Alma) Meng, Customer Service Agent
What do you like about living in Berlin? The only German city I can live in without knowing German
My first job was: Tourist guide in Great Wall
I am an expert in: Enjoying life
Maria Kozakiewicz, Customer Service Agent
Favourite Berlin Spot: Slumberland near Nollendorfplatz
One song that you would listen to everyday: Quimey Neuquen by Chancha via Cirquito - José Larralde
If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? A few more languages.
Abhishek Nair, Working Student Customer Service
Which item could you not be without? Not an item but i could not be without music.
My first job was: Cooking Assistant for my mum.
I am an expert in: Indian Mythology and annoying people.
Yuxiang Huillet, Chinese Content Editor
If you could be any fictional character, whom would you choose? Totoro, a cute little creature
Best gift that you have ever received? I am still waiting to receive this ever best gift ....
Worst movie you have seen? An English horror movie, during which I fell asleep .. Can't remember the name now. Something starting with a 'B'